Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blog # 5 - Web 2.0

So as part of my class assignment, I was asked to find Web 2.0 tools, specifically, social bookmarking, sites specifically made to share sites with one another.
For those who don't know, Web 2.0 is associated with social collaboration and information sharing. For example, sites like Facebook, StumbleUpon, Twitter, Wikipedia, and Digg are all examples of Web 2.0 applications.

Anywho, as for the social bookmarking site I found, it's http://www.diigo.com. I would've done StumbleUpon, but two others were doing it.

As for Diigo, my first thoughts at looking at it were that it has a user-friendly interface and is rather appealing to the eye. When I signed up, I was given four choices.

The first link is "My Library". According to Diigo, My Library is a "central place to store all your bookmarks, highlights, notes, pictures". Seems simple enough, and it even includes a toolbar for your browser for anyone who wants easy access to their bookmarks.

The second link is "My Network", which is just the people in your network or. You add people and you are able to share and contribute bookmarks. It also shows updates among the people in your network. It gives you options to find people on Diigo based on interest, email, or even the option to invite them. At the bottom is a list of featured users who might share the same interests as you.

The third link is "Groups" which "provides a ground-breaking collaborative research and learning tool that allows any group of people to pool their findings through group bookmarks, highlights, sticky notes, and forum.". You can create groups, interact with groups, or even create a "group knowledge repository". On the bottom of the page is a list of featured groups that you can join.

The fourth and final link is "Community", which is lists resources of community driven material. The page is titled "Hot bookmarks", so I assume it's the top liked/favorited/whatever resources on Diigo.

Overall, the site seems *really* user-friendly and has a variety of resources that a typical social bookmark user would use. Seems like a very connected site and I'm sure people who enjoy bookmarking would find the site of quality. I wouldn't really know, I don't use social bookmarking sites; I just did as asked as part of the assignment.

QUESTIONS:
1. What are the differences between ranking based and social bookmarking search engines?
Ranking based search engine are based on a global ranking. In other words, the results are based on what everyone else around the world has been searching. It is usually ordered in descending order based on popularity. As for social bookmarking search engine, it is more personalized. Social bookmarking search engines take account to what you have been searching for and displays results based on it.

2. What issues might there be with creating accounts online?
On the user end, I can only think of a few. For one, the most obvious one is losing your password and, as a result, end up losing all your bookmarks and social networking. Another one I can think of is leaving your account logged into a computer and another person can come in and tamper with it. Another issue is that once you create an account on social networking sites, your data may be available to the general public, which in that you may want to use the privacy settings the site offers, if any.

Alright, I think this is it. I just realized I can use this as my presentation as well. I think I *MIGHT HAVE* overdone it with this blog entry ):

No comments:

Post a Comment